Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Potential of Palms


Mid terms are done, fall break is coming to an end. Things have definitely settled by this point - not to say that they were particularly unsettled to begin with, just that I had a lot more questions and uncertainties floating around in my brain. Strangely enough, I still have questions and unanswered questions, if not more now than before, that have replaced the old ones. But they are less distracting.. the kind of "wait and see" questions that really bother you but you know you can deal with. Patience is key. I've had a lot of time to think about things, let things go, and put complete trust in God. All in all, this whole life thing is going pretty well.
It's super weird being on campus during fall break. The grounds are DEAD. No joke! I'm fairly certain that 75% of the students have gone elsewhere for the four-day weekend. FC is lacking its daily hustle and bustle. It is not the same place without all the liveliness!




The building I am standing in front of is Hutchinson, or the chapel... perhaps what you'd call the focal point of Florida College campus. The shingles are looking rather nasty, but the triangular roof still stands out for its uniqueness. It's a pretty cool structure.
On the previous topic of fall break, I must admit that I feel conflicted. It doesn't really feel like fall (or that long of a break! haha). That's Florida for you. I mean, the weather has been a lovely temperature. But it's not like you can really tell what the season is by the look of the landscape or anything. In lou of trying to bring fall to Tampa, I've been beginning to take steps in the "autumn" direction. I've busted out some scarves, darker/richer colors, and layers. The good thing about the current weather conditions is that it has been cool enough for some layers; luckily I have thin enough layers to accomplish that comfortably. I'm inspired to do so much, but I'm finding that I am lacking in most of the areas needed when I look in my closet. Where are the quarter sleeved shirts? How do I not have more knits? Jackets? Vests? I utilize my resources, but I can only do so much with what I've got.


 
Top: JCPenny (altered), skirt: hand made,
scarf: thrifted, shoes: Dr. Scholl's,

This skirt is the first article of clothing that I made myself. Not altered, repurposed, or changed into something else... completely made from scratch. Like, it was nothing but fabric and some buttons before I sewed it all together. The feeling of accomplishment it woven into its fibers. But moreover, I made it at my grandmother's house with her by my side, guiding me through the process. She works magic with a sewing machine. I'm totally inspired by her work room: so many tools, threads, fabrics, embellishments. She's always making things for her grandchildren (and great grandchildren). I was planning on making several items at her house, but time always got away from me. For now, this light blue skirt is the only one to live to tell the tale. There are some good memories in that skirt.

 
The longer I'm in Tampa, the more I realize what a neat place it is. There's so much out there to soak up, and I'm rarely able to experience anything off campus. Thankfully, I have Erika around for sister-date excursions. She's lived in the area for 9 years and is able to introduce me to some pretty amazing and eclectic stuff. We just completed a day in historic Ybor city: there was a "food truck war" going on, consisting of multiple kitchen trucks from local dining places parked in a lot, selling their food. The weather was fabulous. The pupusas, lobster roll, and apricot crepe, (and oh the pupusas)- delicious. Erika and I spent the day eating yummy food and enjoying each other's company. It was lovely.
After a day like that, I feel inspired to do nothing but explore new things. I wish I could make a month goal for myself, such as, "for this month, I will visit a new part of town every weekend," or, "I will stop by somewhere different before heading home everyday for a month," or, "once a week during this month, I'm going to eat a new dish at a new place." But I'm not here to live it up and eat pupusas everyday. I'm here to go to school and focus on spending as little money as possible. And I'm ok with that to a certain degree. I'm driven to dive fully into college in order to move on with my life, so I find it important to block everything else out until that task is accomplished. However, I am a very adventurous individual who craves the thrill of sinking her teeth into the flavors of a new habitat.
Man. I wish I could put serious life on hold for a period of time, take a break from what needs to be done and do the things that are out there to be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment